A. Course Description:
Biosafety embodies containment principles, technologies, and practices that are implemented to prevent unintentional release and exposure to pathogens and hazardous biological materials in laboratory. In order to reduce the risk of infection and exposure, establishing laboratory facility compliant to biosafety and biosecurity standards, investing safety equipment and employing best biosafety practices are essential. This course is designed to impart the principles and practices of biosafety, biosecurity and biorisk management in laboratories enabling the participants to apply biosafety in routine and special laboratory procedures and facilitate transfer of learning in resource limited setting.
B. Expected Outcome:
Application of learnings to respective laboratories in the form of:
1. Providing sensible feedbacks on the practices on their laboratories.
2. Developing action plans to upper level management.
3. Sharing of acquired learnings and practices with other staff.
C. Course Length:
The training will be conducted for three days:
1st day: 07:30 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.
2nd day: 08:00 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.
3rd day: 09:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
D. Intended Audience:
The training is intended for Senior personnel with teaching and supervisory experience and are working in biomedical or microbiological laboratories; have experience in handling specimen, isolates, and biologicals in the laboratory; and have basic knowledge in laboratory biosafety and biosecurity.
E. Language of the Course:
The course will be conducted using the English language.
F. Course Requirements:
At least 90% attendance of the training
At least 80% rating at post-test
G. Training Methodology:
This course shall be taught using the following training methodologies and techniques:
• Powerpoint presentation
• Video portion
• Interactive Lecture
• Small group discussion
• Q & A Sessions
• Role playing
• Hands-on Training
H. Training Content:
Module 1: Biosafety Basics
Module 2: Microbiological Risk Assessment
Module 3: Mitigation Measures (Engineering)
Module 4: Personal Protective Equipment
Module 5: Operational Practices
Module 6: Biorisk Performance
Module 7: Adult Learning Skills
I. Training Evaluation:
J. Certificates of Training:
Certificate of completion will be awarded to participants who have attended at least 90% of the two-day training.
Certificate of participation will be awarded to participants after passing all course requirements.
K. Reading Materials:
1. WHO Biosafety Manual 3rd Edition
2. Sandia Global Biorisk Management Curriculum (GBRMC)
3. Sandia Biorisk Assessment Models (BioRAM)
4. ISO, UN GHS, EU hazard signage standards
5. International Air Transport Guidelines
6. Sandia GBRMC European Committee for Standardization Workshop Agreement 15793
7. US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
8. CWA 15793:2011 Laboratory Biorisk Management
9. BMBL Biosafety for Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratory 5th edition
Disclaimer: Published rate and schedule subject to change with or without prior notice.
For more information, please email RITM RTC at email@example.com.